Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I grew up near the California Veterans Home...

11 - 11


the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month......
In November 1919, President Wilson proclaimed November 11 as the first commemoration of Armistice Day with the following words:
"To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations…"

I deal in military clothes. I love them because they are well-made clothing, and the colors are great.
I have lots of sailor pants, and army shirts and I just sold a Korean war era M 1951.
I have Navy pea coats, and a very heavy Air Force cold weather dress coat. I have a Swiss Army watch (hee hee), an Army-Air Force WWll Bulova Type A-11 watch...

Earlier this year I sold a 30s - 40s vintage A-2 Pilots Jacket, and a Air Force N-2B 70s jacket with a real fur around the hood. This is a tiny recounting of the military...I've known and loved..
Fleets In!!

WWll pea coat. The style and the quality doesn't change much over the years.  This one is 80s



When I get something, I almost always know exactly what I have, but sometimes I have to spend hours of research. Most military clothes have fantastic labels in them...they tell you what it is...how to use it and the year it was made.



M 1951 Field Pants




Every time I hold a piece of military clothes I think about it.....still, after all these years. I think why. I think well.....I'm putting it to good use. Recycling it to someone who wants good sturdy clothing.


Here's the 30s - 40s vintage A-2 Pilots Jacket that went to a fella that wanted one for a long long time and his wife bought it for his birthday. I spent hours and hours and hours on Pilots jacket research. I am now a near-expert! I know the diff between cowhide, goatskin, and horsehide, by sight and by smell, and by look, and I know why each was used.


Her pictures of him wearing it  (acameragirl.blogspot.com)

......I wonder what he feels...





*******************
WWll khaki pants. Fantastic!



1968 Vietnam 7 pocket jungle fatigues



Early WWll helmet.....the pot of fame!

and a Air Force N-2B...I'm still looking for one in my size....a 36 please!


Sailor pants with 13 anchor buttons


My favorite and mine all mine...WWll Navy WAVES jacket... when the ladies were needed ....they joined.



Do I think about this...Indeedy I do.
the recap of my Veterans post from earlier this year......

No comments: