Monday, September 6, 2010

beat

Socrates, Eve, Scott and Helen Nearing, Amelia Earhart, Joan of Arc, Jesus....
If someone has come before me and was a non-conformist, I'm on it!
So... I love The Beats. I am so Thrilled and can't wait to see....HOWL

The movie of the obsenity trial of Lawrence Ferlinghetti...over the publication of Allen Ginsberg's poetry.



Scott Nearing........what a face.


I hope you watch the glasses, the clothes and the typewriter in this trailer....this is the stuff of how I make my living......
I watch movies and I pick out the anachronisms...it's something that Mark and I are very very good at doing......it is a bit annoying. For everyone!
50s rhinestone cat eye glasses....







Isn't he great that James Franco....so funny that he played the HighSchool dumbell...but deep down, a real softie.....in Freaks and Geeks? And now he's in Columbia’s MFA program for fiction writing, and he should just become a doctoral candidate at Columbia university....which is the same university as ...Allen Ginsberg attended. And Jon Hamm is in it.(what school did he attend, must Google that)...what a ready-made line-up. It better be good! Queers, the 50s, and lawyers....I'm sure it will....

 A pretty dress..not a 50s style, but in mood....very poetry-reading.....classic simple folkloric style....or a real late 50s early 60s modern art pattern...



 a 50s jacket for the fellas....



Late in May, earlier this year, Peter Orlovsky, died. He was the long time love of Allen Ginsberg.
Just after meeting Peter in late 1954, Allen and he moved in together in an apartment in the North Beach neighborhood of San Francisco, which, as you know is the Center of the universe.
And then Allen Ginsberg published Howl and more and more and more.

So, in the July 2010 issue of Interview magazine, Andy Warhol's Interview magazine....The Andy Warhol That Tacoma Hates......
Dennis Hopper (more non-conformism) was also in the July issue, and Dennis also died in late May, so May 2010 sucks.
In the Interview interview, we are reminded that ..."Dennis Hopper bought an early Warhol soup can painting for $75, instigating a lifelong relationship with the artist and a passion for collecting."



Gus Van Sant  (Drugstore Cowboy)is on my top 5 of Directors I love, and it is he whom I  want to direct the movies I write.......so Dennis Hopper's son Henry and Sissy Spacek's daughter Schuyler, are gonna be in a Gus Van Sant movie.....The Restless, which should be out in early 2011. Jesus fucking Christ, it must be hard to get a career in Hollywood, in show business, if your fucking parents are you know, Dennis Hopper and Sissy Spacek. ...tough times. I am hoping VanSant kicked their lily white butts.
James Franco was in another film where he portrayed a real live person, Scott Smith, in Gus Van Sant’s movie Milk.
...and of course, GVS is a producer of ....HOWL.




I think that pure talent cannot be Hollywoodized. As people watch Mad Men on cable TV I hope they realize that Ginsberg and the Beats were the exact opposite of everything that Mad Men represents, (that Jon Hamm!), that standardized prepackaged manipulated lifestyles on sale at WalMart, and the Home Shopping Network, and all that Ronald Reagan and Geo Bush were/stand for.......so, Here's to pure genius, and not relying on mom and dad to make your life for you. As Ginsberg says ......."who threw their watches off the roof to cast their ballot for Eternity outside of Time, & alarm clocks fell on their heads every day for the next decade, ... ..."

Howl
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, 
starving
  hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn 
looking for an angry
  fix,
angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly 
connection to the 
  starry dynamo in the machinery of night,
who poverty and tatters and hollow-eyed and high 
sat up smoking in the
  supernatural darkness of cold-water flats floating 
across the tops of
  cities contemplating jazz,

2 comments:

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

Ginsberg read at my college coffee house in 1990 or so. Amazing. I have to be grateful to the university I went to if for no other reason than it enabled me to experience people like Ginsberg, Kurt Vonnegut, Spike Lee, and the Ramones live and in person!

I think Mad Men has done a pretty good job showing that there was another world outside the mainstream world of the ad agency (Peggy's forays into the artier underworld, Don's beatnik-y girlfriend in the first season).

propriatress said...

oh you are the Luckiest!! I hang my head in shame to admit that I never got to see or hear a real live Beat (to my knowledge) for all the years I spent in the Bay Area and all over California, or anywhere. I saw other interesting people, but no Beats!
And that is why I have to live near university and colleges..the culture!
I think Mad Men is very subversive. It shows the manufactured life of the era, and it shows how it was made, and the vast majority of people want that pre-packaged life...all of it, without thinking that they can choose what they like as if at a smorgasbord.
I think most people don't realize how manipulated they are, or at least, how hard the powerful try to manipulate them....to buy products...to vote for maniacs....and those Beats...lifted the Curtain in their time...
;-)