Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Why Is MY Street Closed at 7am Today????

I think The City doesn't like or respect antique row because we ain't controllable corporate types....we're odd, weird, feisty, and we say inscrutable things.
OK, First Night is fine. (I'm gonna assume the street must be closed NOW for First Night)
And I'm not stupid....I know things must be set up...But really now...2 whole days and 1 night is needed on Broadway from 7th to 9th? NO PARKING??
Tully's, the restaurant, the dentist, the ashdon, the 35 businesses, the gay bar, the mortgage companies, screw Riley, and Dennis Flannigan....and so on........Oh wait, maybe they pay for parking...some of us Have To Drive To Work With A CAR...some of us carry more than dog hair and a water bottle to work. Just saying.
I am not a happy driver.
I'm gonna be surprised to go to work today and find the signs gone...Just a Wish...a girl can wish, right?

When I opened Steilacoom Forge Deli in uh, Steilacoom, I was in direct competition with Bair Drug. Guess who had their electricity, water, and other utilities turned off for "construction" at least once a month for a day or 2??? Guess who had their street corner torn up for "construction" at least once a month for a day or two??? Guess who had the street blocked off for a day or two, at random times over the course of the year and a half I was (trying) to be in business??? Me.

I'm a little sensitive.
I just love how THE ARTS are the latest Buzz Concept to Revitalize Tacoma This Decade (tm)
and then when the arts get too um, arty.....all hell breaks loose.
Rather, things must be muzzled.

Antique Row has been a consistent generator of fun, skewed perspective and general nose-thumbing at normal society....and we like it like that!
Used furniture??? gross. Old smelly books? ikkk. Used clothes? barf.
But those non-mainstream items/concepts/practices are what Fuel creativity.
Even tattoos are mainstream now. Chew on that Chew on Dat. (obscure Roald Dahl reference)

Eating oatmeal everyday is boring. Have chocolate cake for breakfast and see how you stack up!
The last neat thing the city did was to install Cable Internet all over town!!!!
I would not be here to annoy you all but for That!! (wait I used to write for newspapers...you know what they are, right?)
(I can't get cable downtown unless I pay big big bucks for construction and installation which is an interesting dilemma....my theory is that everyone is waiting for sidewalk and street mayhem, followed by prettiness....uh, you did remember to run cable to every address on the new construction you did down there, didn't you??? or did you forget, which means the new construction will need to be torn up to cable-up downtown??)

And while I'm blogging about Things Tacoma Is Doing To Annoy Me (tm)...
At least when PP Ray was running things around here, the streets did NOT have holes in them the size of Guatemala !!
Why in the hell do we have massive condo projects that look so modern and upscale, yet the citizens have to drive on 3rd world rutted goat trails to get to them and to the new Nordstrom at the mall?
Did you think I wouldn't notice?
Yeah, fab. My new Missoni dress is in my new Lexus, as I dodge 46 pot holes between Nordy's and my Downtown Condo...............
WTH ??
(I don't live in a condo downtown, I was just giving you an example of the disparate dichotomy that now exists in Tacoma...)
I blame The Man From DesMoines....and I don't mean the waterfront burg up north...

So have fun on First Night but don't get naked what ever you do. And don't do anything Rick Warren would wag his finger at.....



Bair Drug is closed now. Looks permanent.
Karma is a Bitch.

No comments: