Sunday, March 27, 2011

The sailors life for me!

I'm not a big fan of Tacoma....but the secret is out...we have water all around us here...Lots and lots of water! so...I spend a lot of time at the water and on the water in my canoe or in someone's boat....
And that makes life here bearable...that and June, July, and August....
I designed some new tote bags....I had the stripe fabric, which goes with the sailboat fabric, and that needs some rope....and adding whimsy....a lining of alphabet fabric.....typical thatyountvillegirl sturdy and quirky unique handy dandy handmade goods........


see/// a lot of water........

----and now---
Inspired by supreme writing....of the sailor's life....and the ships at sea.......by Joseph Conrad, from his story , Youth.
"We had fair breezes, smooth water right into the tropics, and old Judea lumbered along in the sunshine. When she went eight knots everything cracked aloft, and we tied our caps to our heads: but mostly she strolled on at the rate of three miles an hour. What could you expect? She was tired--that old ship. Her youth was where mine is -- where yours is -- you fellows who listen to this yarn: and what friend would throw your years and your weariness in your face? We didn't grumble at here. To us aft, at least, it seemed as though we had been born in her, reared in her, and lived in her for ages, had never known any other ship. I would just as soon have abused the old village church at home for not being a cathedral."
**********************
and by way of contrast...here's a bit of pretentious horseshit..This is what someone actually said about their real Etsy shop...I've changed the name to protect the jackass....on second thought--- No I didn't !!!!....."My Etsy shop,  Affaires Nomades (Nomadic Things), comes from my fascination for the ever-changing moments of life. Although a home symbolizes stability, I want to explore the idea that it can also reflect change. Therefore, my work is about a search for decor, which reflects this ephemeral nature."

Inspired by the Conrad quote, here's a picture of the tiny village church I attended off and on in my Youth....and sang in the choir, too....It always reminded me of a large sailing ship....Like the Pinta, or something. It's old, and creaky...and the wood is remarkable. Wide boards, the details made by carpenters with old hand-crafting tools.
When I read that Conrad story, in my youth, I thought of the tiny church, and forever after, when I was here,  imagined I was in a ship with Joseph Conrad. It wasn't too far off.....Jesus being a fisher of men...and his Dad, who, made the sea, and everything else, if you're really into fairy tales that could make sense.



--------and now ....back to my sewing project...the Cotton canvas nautical tote bag......

The handle is sewn to the stripe side, and the rope goes all the way around the top in a casing....but it mostly only pulls together the sailboat side.......



I added pockets on the stripe side...big enough for a phone or a small wallet.....and the whole thing can carry a bunch of smaller things.......or you can fit a laptop, or i-pad or Kindle....if that's how you swing......

from the beginning.......one has lace on the pocket.....the other is plain....one for the girls....one for the guys....






the tag....and a good shot of the lining....


No comments: